Monday, April 14, 2008

Another touching moment ruined by Joan Jett

If you follow my blog, you would remember that very rarely will something at a funeral move me to almost crying. Well it happened this weekend, and very quickly it was over.
I had a family request Take Me Home, Country Road by John Denver for dismissal. Not a problem. The family said they had the cd and would bring it in. Well it was burned onto someones mix cd and wouldn't play on my main system. It happens sometimes with crappy cd's or crappy burners. So I hauled out the portable and laid the mic next to it. It was Track 10 and the song lasted 3:06. So since I didn't know how to auto repeat, I had to hit the back button every 3:06 while we were dismissing the service. For some reason the song along with the grief of the family made me kind of emotional. The song was the right fit for the deceased and the family. Well as we were wheeling the casket to the hearse and I was feeling pretty misty-eyed, I realized that the song was going to end. I quickly scanned around and saw that everyone would be out of the building by the time it was over so I didn't run back to start it again. We got the casket loaded into the hearse and I walked in figuring to hear another John Denver song. Instead I got this blaring through the funeral home:

Said can I take you home where we can be alone

An' next we were movin' on
He was with me, yeah me

Next we were movin' on
He was with me, yeah me, singin'

I love rock n' roll
So put another dime in the jukebox, baby
I love rock n' roll
So come an' take your time an' dance with me

I am glad everyone was outside because I busted out laughing.
Folks, you can't make stuff like this up.

No comments: