Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Race Day!!

Well here's the surprise I promised. Last night Ed-boy, The Minion, and I went to Dragway 42 near West Salem, Ohio for their weekly Test and Tune Night. For 10.00 you can race whatever you can drive there. If you ever wanted to try drag racing this is a good place to try it. The gates open at 5:30 and with the small amount of people there, it really eases your nervousness about the embarrassment factor.

We took a my truck, a 1996 Ford Ranger, a 1995 Cadillac Sedan, and The Minions bike, a 1986 Honda Rebel. Once we got parked, we walked up to the starting point and watched the first few cars go through. Ed-boy and I made the first run in the truck. There are 7 staging lanes. Lanes 1 and 2 were for cars with racing tires (slicks), 3 and 4 for street tires and 7 for bikes. You fill out a card that you give to the guy running the staging lanes and he puts a number on your window. Theres no waiting so as soon as we pulled up to the lane we got waved onto the track. You ease you way up to the "Christmas Tree" until the top two yellow lights come on. Going on to the track and finding the starting point was the most nervous part of the whole night. I was about 10 feet away from it and just kept inching my way slowly up until the starter came up and banged on my window and started flinging his hands forward. I was so concentrated staring at the yellow lights to come on that I didn't realize til the next run that there were marks in the guardrail to my left to show where to pull up to. Ooops. Now that I had proven beyond a doubt that I was a newb, he actually yelled "GO!" at me when the light turned green! Since the truck is automatic, all ya gotta do is punch it to the floor and drive straight for a 1/4 mile. When you get to the end there's a turn around and you make your way to a little shack where they give you your time slip.
Ed-boy had a blast, he rode shotgun on all but three runs. He was so fired up when we got home he was begging wifey to put NOS on my truck!
Here's a few pics. I'll have some very cool video hopefully later today. We also got to see the Minion race his bike and that is a whole 'nother story!



Ed-boy wanted the hood up on our car like the other people there. The only difference being that the other people there had REAL race cars.

No comments: